The original Catheral in Guatemala City was built in 1545, but it was replaced with the actual building, but from 1669 thrugh 1680. It was destroyed by the earthquakes of 1717 and 1751, but rebuild. The earthquakes of 1773 almost destroyed the complete city, and the city was traslated to where now Guatemala City stands. Part of the bulding was rebuild and is used as Saint Joseph Church, but most of it still remains on ruins. These ruins can also be visited are give a good idea of how magnificient this building once were.